Body positivity means having a healthy body image, and not falling prey to the societal norms and ideals that can lead to negative self-image and a lack of self-esteem. We all compare ourselves to others, assuming the grass is greener on the other side.
But when we are deluged with implausible images of perfection in films, magazines and social media, we are in danger of setting unattainable standards for ourselves, and making ourselves miserable trying to achieve them. To compound the effect of being surrounded by impossible body ideals, we are encouraged by the diet and healthcare industry to focus on single shot solutions like reaching an 'ideal weight' or sticking to a fad diet, regardless of the associated harms. Hypnotherapy can be used to treat negative body image and low self-esteem, and many hypnotherapists use visualisation and suggestion techniques to help people regain their body positivity, and equip them to maintain it. Here are five things you can do yourself to improve your body positivity.
- Remind yourself that your body is capable of doing amazing things, like running, dancing and laughing, by doing those things!
- Make sure you have a positive support network around you. A problem shared is a problem halved!
- Eat well, sleep well and exercise. This is so important as it will help you feel a lot better in yourself and also will enable you to get the most out of your day. It will also help you decrease your stress levels.
- Meditate or do Yoga. 15 minutes of either will help you maintain a positive frame of mind, and help you unwind before or after a busy day at work or at school.
- Do something for yourself; give yourself some “me time” and treat yourself to a pleasant, relaxing experience, and take the time to savour how it makes you feel.